The Council of Ministers met on, Friday, March 27th , 2020, under the chair of His Excellency, Issoufou Mahamadou, President of the Republic, Chairman of the Council of Ministers.
As of March 27th, 2020, 10 cases have been confirmed positive for COVID-19, including one death. In view of the progress observed in this pandemic in Niger, the Council of Ministers has taken additional measures among others:
- Proclamation of a state of emergency throughout the national territory;
- Isolation of the city of Niamey for 2 weeks from Sunday March 29th , 2020 at midnight.
- Establishment of a curfew on the territory of the city of Niamey from Saturday March 28th , 2020 (7 PM. to 6 AM).;
- Free treatment of patients confirmed positive for COVID-19 according to the chloroquine and / or azithromycin protocol in hospitals or healthcare settings;
- Implementation of the strategy of active search for suspected cases of patients with COVID-19 as well as strengthening of the screening test and containment;
- Strengthening of protective equipment for health personnel engaged in the fight against COVID-19;
- Recruitment of 1.500 health workers. The Council of Ministers paid a heartfelt tribute to all health personnel and to all the actors intervening in the fight against COVID-19.
These measures are supplemented with accompanying measures to limit and manage the socio-economic impacts of COVID-19 as well as, measures to organize the work in the public administration during the COVID-19 pandemic in Niger.