In a message to the Nation, on March 17th, 2020, his Excellency Issoufou Mahamadou, President of the Republic, has given an update of the situation of the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) and the measures taken by the Government in addition the those already taken on March 13th , 2020.
1. Closure of the international airports of Niamey and Zinder for a period of 2 weeks renewable from March 19th, 2020 at midnight except for domestic flights as well as medical, military and cargo flights.
2. Closure of all land borders for a period of 2 weeks renewable from March 19th, 2020 at midnight except for the transport of goods
3. Consultation between the Government and religious leaders in order to adopt measures relating to access to places of worship
4. Closure of all preschool, elementary, secondary and higher education establishments for a period of 2 weeks, renewable starting at midnight on March 20th, 2020. Parents have to take care of their children
5. Closing of bars, nightclubs, cinemas and places of entertainment as of March 18th, 2020 at midnight
6. Restriction to gatherings of more than 50 persons. This measure concerns in particular: baptisms, marriages and any other form of ceremony, throughout the territory. In particular, workshops and seminars are prohibited until further notice
7. Implementation of compulsory hygiene measures in markets, shops, restaurants, public and private services
8. Imposed distance of at least one meter between people in supermarkets, restaurants, businesses, airport areas and other public places
9. Free diagnosis and treatment of confirmed cases of CORONAVIRUS
10. Revision of the emergency plan to take into account the new requirements, and the allocation of a sum of one billion CFA francs from the national budget for its financing